Monday, October 19, 2015

Week #17 (in the field) - The real BEST week of my mission!!!

So, I thought last week was the best week of my mission, but this one
was definitely a chart-topper! On Tuesday night we had our usual
dinner at the Cram's but this time, brother and sister cram decided
they were going to invite Mike and his family over for dinner as well
as the Mason family (the old bishop). Mike and his family came and
sister cram made some awesome food! After dinner we taught the
restoration. Mike and his family have already been taught the
restoration but we decided that we were going to teach it again in a
sit down, formal setting. So we got teaching the lesson and I noticed
about half way into it that Elder Havens and I were doing most of the
talking and we were starting to lose their interest really fast. So I
decided I was just going to ask them questions. I started out with
Tamika who is Mike's fiancé and asked her a question about Jesus Christ.
That got her thinking and made her open up a little about her desire
to follow Jesus. Then Mike started to make some comments and he
expressed some of his worries and concerns. We got talking about
trials and faith. Elder Havens shared a good scripture about how only
when we experience a "trial of our faith", will we receive the
blessings Heavenly Father has for us! And so after he finished talking
about that, I decided to add some comments to the subject and while I
was talking I got the strongest impression I've ever had that I needed
to ask them to be baptized, right then! And so I did... During the
middle of my thought, I said "one trial of our faith is whether or not
we will be baptized. So with that said, I feel impressed to ask you
guys (Mike and family) if when you come to know that the message we
share is true, will you be baptized by someone holding the proper
priesthood authority of God?" After a moment of silence, Tamika said
yes. And then a moment later, Mike shook his head and said yes as
well. I've never felt the spirit so strong in my life. Never have I
ever received an impression so clear. It was so amazing to see the
hand of God working through me and touching the hearts of the people
we were teaching. I am nothing, I don't know the exact thing to say
that will convert everyone I teach. But I do know that if I am
attentive to the promptings of the Holy Ghost, he will impress on me
what I should say and what I should do in those times. I am weak, but
with God I am powerful beyond measure. We have decided that we are
going to try to meet with Mike and Tamika everyday until their
baptismal date which is October 31st. I have seen so many miracles in
their spiritual progression I can't even explain it.

Another amazing thing that happened this week was the fact that I got
to see my best friend, Ryan, get baptized on Saturday. I got special
permission from my mission president to Skype into the baptism and
watch the whole program. I can't express how happy I am for Ryan. Ryan
is my best friend and he made an amazing choice in being baptized and
it made me happy as well as our Heavenly Father! I still remember the
first time I met Ryan, freshmen year, in our Spanish class. I knew at
that time that I would have a friend for life. Ryan has been such a
great example to me in following the savior. I have seen him
completely change his life and it's only for the better. I can't wait for
the time when I come home and Ryan and I will be able to go to the
temple together and preform sacred ordinances. He is such a stud and I
love him to death. I know that he has a great life ahead of him and
the straight and narrow path that he is on now is the only way to go
through this life so we can return to live with our Heavenly Father
again. I'm so grateful for his example of a follower of Jesus Christ
and as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints!

I've have been so spiritually blessed this week. I have seen so many
miracles happen and my life has been changed for the better this week
because of the savior. A few times on my mission I have thought to
myself, "is this really worth it?" It's the times like I had this week
that make every painful, anxious, nervous, sad, lonely feeling of the
mission worth it. This week alone has made my whole mission worth it.
I wouldn't trade any of these experiences, blessings, or friendships I
have for the world. I love this gospel and I love how it changes
lives. Let it change yours.

Love,
Elder Tanner Leishman

Last pday - at the National Geographic museum.
A picture that was sent to me from Ryan's baptism.

One of my favorite quotes.

Selfie with Jesus while waiting to skype into Ryan's baptism.

No comments:

Post a Comment