Monday, August 10, 2015

Week #7 - In the Field

So this week was a super weird week, totally nothing like a normal
missionary week. But it was pretty fun! It was good to kind of change
it up for a few days. But this week was transfer week and both elder
mcinerny and I are staying here in falls church. It's elder mcinernys
last transfer of his mission so I'll definitely get a new companion in
6 weeks!

On Tuesday we had dinner at a members house. The cutchens. They are
from St. George!! And their daughter went to desert hills middle!! We
knew a lot of the same people and that made for a really good
conversation at dinner! It was like reuniting with family that I had
never met before. They are living out here for a year while brother
cutchen works for the government then they are going to move back to
St. George! They are a super sweet family with great spirits and they
are excited to be out here which is good!! Little slice of home is
always nice hahaha.

On Wednesday, elder mcinerny and I had absolutely nothing to do. So
after studies we decided we were going to ditch the car for the day
and we were going to walk to the farthest spot in our area, eat lunch
there and talk to people there, then walk back. We left the house at
about 11 or so and didn't get back till around 4 or 5. It was a dang
long day!!! It felt like we walked forever. But it was still pretty
cool. I got a lot of steps in on my Fitbit hahaha. But I could barely
walk the next day because my feet were so sore!! Welcome to missionary
life lol.

Thursday was also really fun! Bishop leavitt (my bishop from Vegas)
was able to come and see me while he was in town for his sons wedding!
He met us at sweet frog and we went and got some dinner and we were
able to catch up on how things at home are going! It was so nice to
see someone from home but it was also kind of weird because I haven't
seen someone I know since I was in the mtc. I'm glad I got to see him
though and we were able to talk and take so,e pictures! It was

On Friday, elder mcinerny had his departing temple trip. Usually they
would do it like the week before you go home but the temple will be
closed when he goes home in September. It closed today and is closed
till October 10th. And so I'm not going home anytime soon, I wasn't
able to go. So I went on an exchange with two other elders and we
worked in Arlington. I was with elder Johnson (who is a greenie) and
elder tapasoa (from Nephi,Utah). It was pretty fun. We basically just
walked around the city of Arlington because it was elder johnsons area
and he was brand new and didn't know any of the investigators because
he just got here on Thursday. But I spent most of the day with them.
Probably till like 4:30. It was weird being with a companion that
wasn't my trainer lol. I don't know what I'm going to do next transfer
when elder mcinerny goes home. Weird stuff.....

Saturday was SO much fun! We got to go to the Nationals baseball game!
We didn't really get to do a lot of missionary work because we had
meetings in the morning then we had to leave for the game around 3
even though it didn't start till 7. We had to take the metro to the
game because missions cars aren't allowed outside of the mission. And
it just so happened that the metro line we needed had broken down so
that was a problem all in itself. Gotta love it. But the game was so
much fun. We snuck down to the front row before the game started and
were waiting for Bryce Harper to come out. And he came out and we
yelled at him and pointed to us and gave us the little "I got you"
head nod. One of the proudest moments of my life. Lol jk but it was
cool. The Nationals won which was fun and everyone played good. It was
weird being at a baseball game in missionary attire. I couldn't help
but think about all the people who though all the 600+ missionaries
that were there, were crazy lol. But the game didn't end till around
10 and so we then started our way back to our car via the metro. Let's
just say, we didn't get home till around midnight. Oh and don't forget
we had to wake up at 5:45 for ward council. BRUTAL. it was worth it

All in all, it was a really good/weird week. It went by super slow in
the moment but now that I look back I feel like just yesterday was
Pday. But we were talking about a pretty cool topic in elders quorum
this week and I thought I would share my thoughts on it with you guys.
It's in the teaching of the presidents book. The Ezra Taft Benson one
and it's in chapter 15 titled: The Sacred Calling of Fathers and
Mothers. And in this chapter it gives 10 spiritual ways that fathers
can give spiritual leadership to their children. The one I want to
talk about is number 6. It says, "6. Have regular one-on-one visits
with your children. Let them talk about what they would like to. Teach
them gospel principles. Teach them true values. Tell them you love
them. Personal time with your children tells them where Dad puts his
priorities." And as I was reading this I remember all the times where
dad and I had sat down and just talked (whether I was in trouble or
not lol). And even though I may not have been a fan of them at that
time, I'm so grateful that I had a loving father who cared for me
enough to give me that spiritual guidance. As I look back, I realize
that some of the best lessons I learned were taught in those
one-on-one meetings. I may not have used the advice given to me but it
was always the best advice and if I would have taken heed to those
things dad taught me, I would have saved myself from a lot of trouble.
I'm so grateful I was raised in the church and blessed with amazing
parents like mine. I hope that one day I can be half the dad my dad

I'll talk to you all next week! Oh, and my mission is an online
proselyting mission so add me on Facebook : Elder Tanner Leishman.

Love you all,
Elder Leishman
With Trey Tanner from St. George at the Nationals game.

I got permission to meet Bishop Leavitt (from Vegas) while he was in town for his son's wedding.

With Neeta's husband

His most prized possession.

No comments:

Post a Comment